Founded through Mrs. Wertheimer’s estate to support community service organizations in Frederick County.
A lifelong Frederick County resident who graduated from Hood College in 1929, Mrs. Wertheimer served as Vice President of Nicodemus and Wertheimer, an insurance and real estate agency she owned and operated alongside her husband Philip. She was actively involved in the Frederick community until her death in 2001, serving as a member of Hood College Alumnae Association, Frederick Women’s Civic Club, Frederick Memorial Hospital Auxiliary, Frederick County Landmarks Foundation, Historical Society of Frederick County, National Trust for Historic Preservation, Maryland Historical Society, the Veterans of Foreign War Auxiliary, Reserve Officer’s Auxiliary, Frederick Art Club, and Evangelical Lutheran Church in Frederick. In life, Mrs. Wertheimer created The Philip and Janis Wertheimer Fund for the Salvation Army/Frederick Corps with the Community Foundation to support the Salvation Army’s activities. Upon her death, the greater portion of her estate was bequeathed to the Community Foundation for the creation of two funds: The Philip and Janis Miller Wertheimer Fund, which supports six area organizations, and The Janis Miller Wertheimer Fund, which, in part, supports the Wertheimer Fellow for Excellence in Volunteerism program, recognizing outstanding volunteers. By supporting the good works of others, Mrs. Wertheimer’s legacy of making Frederick County the best it can be is realized in perpetuity.